Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Thursday, June 28, 2007

An Open Letter to Marketers

Dear Marketing Professional,

I often receive press releases from you about various new offerings that are coming out from this vendor or that vendor. I probably will never blog about one of them just because this blog is not for advertising. If I use something and really believe in it then I will write about it. Just as if I use something and it is a really bad product I will also write about it.

I'm not asking that you stop sending me the press releases because I do like reading about these products (usually). What I am asking is that if you are going to send me something DO NOT attach a .pdf or anything else to it. That is one sure fire way of not getting your release read or published. In todays world of rampant malware being spread in every conceivable way I will NEVER open an attachment that I receive from some random marketer.

As you probably can tell I did receive just such an email today. Not only was there an attachment with it but the person didn't even have a signature beyond a name. I am a security professional and if you are marketing to security professionals you probably should NOT employ the very practices that we preach and rant about.

Sincerely,

Andy ITGuy

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.