Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Monday, October 29, 2007

Who would have thought?

Who would have thought that a new smart phone that was shipped out in October of 2007 wouldn't have the new DST time change patch already applied? I guess this shows why making an assumption is not a good thing. Especially when dealing with technology. My new BlackJack notified me on Sunday morning that it had updated the clock to reflect the change from DST. I didn't think much of it but was a little annoyed. So I just changed the time and went on.

That was mistake number two. I should have also gone in and changed it to ignore DST because when it next checked in with the tower to get it's time updated it changed back. I didn't notice it until this morning when the alarm went off to wake me up. I usually get up at 4:45 am so I can catch a 6:00 am bus into the city. Of course this morning it was really 5:45 am even though my phone thought it was 4:45 am. Oops.

Needless to say I missed the bus and had to take a later one. Not a big deal just a little annoying. so when I got here I applied my patches and all seems to be well.

2 comments:

Absoblogginlutely! said...

now there's a good excuse to be late for work :-)
I thought that most of the phones got their time stamp from the network - I know that my verizon phone did anyway (but it wasn't a smart phone, but at least the phone was the right time!)

Andy, ITGuy said...

My phone does get time from the network, but being a windows mobile device it still assumed that the time had changed this weekend.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.