Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Monday, September 08, 2008

Voting Security

The other day I was looking on ITunes for a new information security podcast. I ran across a couple that I thought I'd download and see if they were worth subscribing to. One of them is called the Data Security Podcast and I listened to it this morning on the way to work. The podcast was pretty good, at least good enough that I'll listen to a couple more episodes before deciding if it will stay on my list or regulars.

One thing that they talked about was how Ohio has come up with some new regulations of electronic voting security. Things like not allowing poll workers to transport machines and related items (cards, etc) in their personal cars and not allowing them to store them at home overnight. Then they went on to talk about the potential badness that could occur by this happening. What really intrigued me was a suggestion that they made. They thought that it would be a good idea for information security professionals to volunteer to work the polls on election day. Their premise is that many information security professionals have a good understanding of the risks associated with electronic voting and may be able to keep an eye on things and help to keep the polls more secure. Of course the potential for bad to happen because of this possible could increase if hackers also volunteered to "help" at the polls. I think all in all that it is a good thing for us to get more involved in the democratic process in any way that we can.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.