Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Small Shop Blues

One of the disadvantages to working in a small IT dept is that you don't have many people to bounce ideas off of or to learn new things from. Of course I have friends who work in IT that I call on if necessary, but you hate to call and say "Let me run this by you" or "Do you know how to do ..." That's fine from time to time, but it can get old. Kinda like when the relatives call, you know they have a computer question. One of the things that I have found that really helps me is to listen to podcasts, read blogs, and spend lots of time reading web sites, RSS feeds, and tech publications. I also try to communicate via email with some of the people who do blogs, podcasts and such. These things may not be a good or convenient as having several good techies on the same team with you, but you would be surprised at how much you can learn.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.