Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Thrown in head first

Two days on the new job and I have been thrown in head first. Not that that is a bad thing. I like it that way. They are giving me time to get adjusted and acquainted with the network, but they have already filled up my plate.

My title is Senior Security Engineer. I'm responsible for overseeing all aspects of network security. I don't have to do all of the work my self but I'm responsible for ensuring that it gets done and that it follows best practices, company standards, etc... I've spent the 2 days looking over network diagrams, device configs, Pen Test results and policies. The Pen Test and Policies are my first "major" projects to complete. I'm also trying to get up to speed on some of the devices that they use that I've not seen much of. The firewall and IDS systems are ones that I've not used before. That's not a big deal though.

So far I've seen both good and bad (imagine that) in how things are done. The best part is that they are aware that they need work and they have an idea as to where they want to go. It will be my job to refine that vision and make it happen.

All in all I'm happy with the position and where I think it will go.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.