Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

OS2, You could have been so much!

I was listening to PaulDotCom Security Weekly this morning (i've been out of town and am playing catchup) and they were talking about the Apple QuickTime patch that was just released. One point they made was that the vulnerability was disclosed to Apple on May 6th of this year and wasn't patched until Sept 12. 4 Months to patch a security hole while working on a new release of iTunes that is full of eye candy and fluff. I liked the older versions better myself. They also commented about how it was all about marketing and money and that is why they work hard on fluff and let other stuff slide. As I mentioned in my "about me" section I started in the world of OS2 when OS2 was already dead for the most part. As I worked w/ it and also on Win 95 machines I alsways wondered why OS2 died and Windows took over the market and it occurred to me that it wasn't due to Windows being a better OS it was all marketing. Bill Gates may be a software genious, but he is also a marketing master (or at least knew enough to get them on his team). IBM, on the other hand, failed miserably at marketing a much superior OS and thus we are stuck in a world of Windows.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.