Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Friday, November 17, 2006

The Physical Part of Security

One of the unique and sometimes exciting part of working for a small company is that you often get to do things that don't fall under your normal duties. For me that means that I do a lot of things that are not IT or Security related and often some thing's that I really don't want to do. But I do get to do a fair amount of Project Management. Both IT related and non-IT related.

Today I did something that falls under the unrelated, yet it still relates. I did a site survey of a new location but my primary concern was physical security. I was looking at things such as lighting, ingress and egress points into the building, building materials used on both external and internal walls, ceiling and crawlspace access, objects that could obstruct the view or easily hide someone, etc... Those of you who have taken the CISSP test or who are studying for it are at least a little familiar with these issues because they are covered on the test.

Physical security has been a part of my job since my early days with the company, but it always focused on video, alarms and locks. This was a new area for me and it was pretty cool getting to put my training to work. I don't think I would want to do it for a living, but something new always brings a sense of adventure.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.