Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Friday, July 20, 2007

I just changed primary search engins

Like many, many people I use google a lot. I have a gmail account, I use Google calendar, Google docs and spreadsheets, Google reader, Google blogger, Google maps, Google earth and Google search. I, also like many others, am concerned about the amount of information that Google is able to gleen about me from my use of their tools. Not enough to really do anything about it because I don't do things that I want or need to hide. I know that there is much more to it than just that, but that is how I feel currently. Now I don't use any of them as my primary tool except for blogger, reader and search. Now the search is going to change. At least for a while. I saw this ComputerWorld article this morning that has made me switch to Ask.com for my search needs. Why? Principle if nothing else. I like the fact that they are willing to really do something to address the concerns and needs of their users. Although I don't have anything to hide in my searches I like knowing that I can do them anonymously and, even more so, that Ask.com cares that I may want to. I sure seems that Google doesn't care. Even though they are implementing a new 2 year policy on cookie life Martin McKeay, of The Network Security Podcast and Blog, tells us that this is really useless because the cookies are "renewed" every time you visit a Google site. Can you say "tomorrow never comes"?

2 comments:

Andy Steingruebl said...

Ok, you pushed me over the edge and I have to be a copycat. Please let us know how high your frustration levels get when you can't find anything :)

Anonymous said...

Man, that is a little disappointing on Google part. I am going to follow you in moving my primary search to Ask.com. I just added them as the default in my Windows Firefox, and will do the same in my Camino browser shortly.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.