Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Saturday, July 28, 2007

You can never be too careful

You would think that me being a Information Security Professional that I would always be extra careful in what I do. That way I save face and ensure that all of my systems are safe and secure. Well as an act of humility I'm gonna tell you about something STUPID AND CARELESS that I did yesterday morning. I started to write about it but forgot. Then I read this post by Ravi Char this morning and it reminded me.

You have heard my rants and woes about SunRocket. (just a quick update, my service was restored for 2 days then went away again. My sister still has service w/ them even though she has signed up w/ another company. She is just waiting on the equipment to arrive so she can complete the transfer.) A couple of days ago I signed up w/ another company for phone and internet service. I saved the order info to a pdf on my laptop. I then emailed it to myself so I could get it at work. I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention to the address that I selected. I accidentally sent it to a group list that I had that was named Andy. So the details went to about 15 friends. Luckily there wasn't any "sensitive" info but a careless mistake like that could cause real problems. So lesson learned? Pay Attention!!!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.