Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Back Scratching

When I started blogging way back when ( about 6 weeks ago) I quickly noticed that if I didn't do something to get noticed then my blog would be just for my own enjoyment. Not excatly what I had in mind when I started this. I did all the things that was suggested on the blogger tips page of blogger.com and this helped a little but my readership still consisted of me and a couple of friends. It wasn't long before I got a mention on the Network Security Podcast with Martin McKeay and a link in his show notes. Then Alan Shimel mentioned me in a blog post and before I knew it my readership picked up quickly. A few other, Mike Rothman and In The Trenches, made mention of a thing or two that I wrote and again my readership went up. I'm not saying all of this to toot my own horn (goodness knows my readership numbers aren't that high), I'm mentioning this to return the favor not only to these guys who I've already linked to and quoted in the past, but to a new feed that I'm now part of. I received word today that my feed will be included in the Headlines from the Security Roundtable over at SecurityCatalyst.com. I'm fully convinced that if you have something to say that others will promote you to their readers and I hope that I can turn someone on to some of those who have helped me.

I'd just like to say thanks to all those who have linked to me and mentioned my blog and I look forward to continuing to learn from all of you and hopefully add something of value to the security blog community.

Check out my links to the right of my page (if you are getting this via RSS go to my blog page http://andyitguy.blogspot.com) and visit some of my favorite blogs and web sites.

2 comments:

Kevin Devin said...

It's elementary... have something interesting to say and people will link to you.

Makes for great show fodder for ITT too.

;-)

Thanks for the scratch. :-)

Unknown said...

Kevin got the gist of what I was going to say. We aren't linking to you because we want to help or be nice, it's because you had something interesting to say. Keep doing that and people will keep linking to you.

Martin

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.