Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Novell Virus

Now there are 2 words you don't often see together. As I've said before I started out in the IT world using OS/2 and Novell and this is the first time I can remember seeing a virus that targeted Novell. I know that there have been some, but I don't remember them. I received my copy of the SANS @Risk Security vulnerability report last night and this was the top story. In my mind this says something about what the bad guys are wanting to do. Just like with Apple, it's not that Novell is so much safer than Microsoft it's that it wasn't being targeted. Smaller user base less potential for impact. Now that the motive is profit rather than impact everything is fair game.

I also am guilty of ignoring things that don't directly impact me at times. This is true when I review this newsletter each week. If it applies to me I check it out. If not I let it pass. Probably not the wisest thing to do. Why? Because that leads to apathy and laziness. I need to keep up with security as a whole not just my little corner of it. If I plan on advancing my career past where it's currently at I need to focus on my goals and areas of responsibility while at the same time keeping an eye out on everything else that is going on. If not I'll get left behind.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.