Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Monday, October 16, 2006

Scary Stuff

I'm not an analyst. At lease not a professional one. I mean that I don't make a living by looking at things like this story and determining what they mean and what impact they may have on the industry or on society in general. I do analyze stories like this and come up with my own thoughts and this one scares me. I have not read the full patent nor done much research on this, but just the fact that one company could own such a patent does not give me a warm fuzzy.

Not being a patent lawyer and only giving the patent a quick look it seems to me that they have been given the rights to tcp/ip traffic that has voice, video and data on it. Sounds like my network and most others that I know. Including the internet. Unless I did miss something then this only applies to ethernet networks so maybe I'll invent the non-ethernet internet that will replace the current ethernet one and then I'll own the patent. :)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.