Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Friday, October 13, 2006

Why I'm in IT and Security

When people that I knew in college and previous to that hear that I'm in IT they usually get a glazed over look and ask how in the world that happened. I was never fond of computers and really had no use for them. That is until I took the time to understand them and realized that they were not the enemy. (my redneck background really had a hold on me)

Once I got into IT I realized that I not only had a knack for it but that for once I really liked what I was doing. I enjoyed the challenge that it presented and I loved learning new things. Especially when I would figure out how to do something on my own. It's hard to describe the feeling of exhilaration you get when you come across a new or better way of doing something. After I had been in IT long enough to see what was what I had to make a choice on where I wanted my career to go. I quickly ruled out programming. I just don't think like they do. It's a completely different mindset. As I explored the options I kept getting drawn to security because I saw that it was where I could really make a difference. I knew that I could have a good career in pure networking or administration, but that wasn't where I saw the real difference being made. At least not for me.

After focusing my career on security I realized that there were still choices to be made. Do I focus on the perimeter, the interior, getting in (penn testing), keeping them out, educating others, policy and procedure, or what. I spent some time dabbling in various areas to see where my skills and talents were and where my interest was. I know where I want to go and I'm working on how to get there. I'm improving myself in the areas that will help me achieve my life goals and will make these things happen.

Many people wonder why put all this work in to something when I could have easily chosen the path of least resistance. The answer is that I'm just not made that way. I don't believe that God put me here to sit back and take the easy path. He put me here to make a difference in everything that I do. If you have been reading some of my recent post you have figured out that I don't like apathetic people who jut get by and that I take my responsibilities seriously. Martin McKeay wrote a nice piece on having a career and not just a job that I feel tied in nicely with some of my earlier tirades. Then this morning I ran across a great piece by John Maxwell that really stoked my fire, thus this post.

I may not be the most knowledgeable person on any topic (duh) and I may not be the best security professional in the world (again stating the obvious), but I do know that I am going to give it my all and continue to do it with passion. If the passion leaves then I'll post one more blog saying good bye and if you look hard enough you will find my new blog about my new job and new passion.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.