Security's Everyman

Security's Everyman

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Interesting Things

This has to be filed under the heading "What are they thinking!" I bet this is just people (especially IT pros) who are testing IE 7 in preparation for Microsoft forcing it on us soon. That or Microsoft's Mind Machine is hard at work trying to brainwash us. I tested IE 7 on a couple of machines and had nothing but headaches with it. It's not going on my systems anytime soon.

Here is an article that should help me sell some of my security ideas to the suits. And my users can't understand why I don't just give out VPN access to anyone. It's bad enough that I have to give out so many laptops with wireless access.

My development guys are crying now. Now that Microsoft has ended support for XP SP1 they have had to upgrade to SP 2. They fought it tooth and nail but finally had to give in.

Today should be fun as we start patching and testing. The really bad thing is that a large part of my network is currently under a business partners patch management department and they don't test. Just push and pray. They did this last year with the October patches and broke our primary application. It took weeks to straighten it out.

I haven't followed this much but this article raises a lot of questions. The first one being how can they be so sure that these $100 laptops are going to be as bulletproof as they seem to be claiming. If anyone knows more about this I'd love to hear it.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NC-SA 3.0.